Comic Sans Taste

Posted by Adriane Jewett | Labels: , , | Posted On Tuesday, August 25, 2009 at 11:04 AM

As a designer and a typography snob, I love this poster.

I actually love it so much, that, on several occasions, I've considered buying multiple copies. I have dreams of carrying one on my person at all times. Whenever I catch someone using Comic Sans, I'd whip one out, grab a witness and make them sign their typography rights away. I'd line the posters up on my wall to remind myself of all the "almost designers" I'd saved from years of ridicule by the larger design community.

Call it public service.


As an undergraduate, my publication design teacher started the semester by informing us that any use of Comic Sans or Papyrus would guarantee a failing grade. He and I became fast friends.


I know that most people walk by Comic Sans without a second glance. I recently had a conversation with one of my journalism professors that went something like this:


Me (laughing): Have you seen this newsletter? Can you believe they used Comic Sans?


Professor: Used what?


Me (laughter stops abruptly): Comic Sans! You know...the typeface...


Professor (looking at the newsletter): Where?


Me: Nevermind.

If I'm being completely honest, I'm not sure exactly why Comic Sans has such a bed reputation among designers. I think it has to do with its overuse. And that it looks like a cross between the bubble letters you doodle in junior high and your kid sister's handwriting.


Inexperienced designers gravitate toward it like undergraduates to a free meal.


But there's a bigger picture here. We often get so wrapped up in the details of our specialty that molehills become mountains. I know that using Comic Sans won't make the earth stop turning...I don't think. It's just my little way of making the world a better, prettier place.

Comments:

There are 5 comments for Comic Sans Taste

Post a Comment